CIRQUE OF THE TOWERS

SEPTEMBER 2010 & SEPTEMBER 2016

PAPOOSE LAKE

THE MONOLITH

PINGORA PEAK

CIRQUE OF THE TOWERS

BEAR LAKE

ARROWHEAD LAKE

CIRQUE OF THE TOWERS

HIDDEN LAKE

WATERFALL ABOVE LONESOME LAKE

LIZARD HEAD MEADOW

PINGORA PEAK AND LONESOME LAKE

JESSE IN THE CIRQUE

The shortest route to the Cirque of the Towers is via the Big Sandy Trailhead, near the town of Boulder, Wyoming. Be sure to bring good directions to the trailhead. Also, the road can get a little rough towards the end, but you can make it in a low-clearance vehicle if you're careful. The first time I hiked Cirque of the Towers in September 2010, I camped at Big Sandy Lake, about five-and-a-half miles from the trailhead, and day-hiked into the basin the next day. It was really nice being able to trek through the steep pass into and out of the Cirque without a heavy backpack on. On your way through Jack Ass Pass, you will pass by North Lake and Arrowhead Lake. After arriving in the Cirque, we stopped by Lonesome Lake and followed the trail along its outlet to Lizard Head Meadow before returning to our camp at Big Sandy Lake. 

The next time I hiked it in September of 2016, my group camped at Big Sandy Lake the first night, but then decided to backpack into the Cirque and set up camp near Lonesome Lake the second night in order to have more time to explore the area. After getting set up, we followed the trail down the North Popo Agie River to Papoose Lake. There is no trail leading to Papoose Lake from the main trail, so you will need to watch your map carefully to know where to cut through the forest. Of all the lakes I've visited in my life, Papoose Lake is definitely one my favorite. The Monolith shoots up directly behind it, giving it  a very majestic backdrop. There is also another lake directly behind Papoose Lake even closer to the Monolith we didn't quite make it to that I would love to come back and visit one day. 

On the way back to camp, we also took the side trail to the Bear Lakes, which were also quite beautiful. On our way out of the Cirque the next day, we attempted to hike to Cirque Lake, which I bet is incredible considering where it is located. However, I misread the map and led our group up the wrong route. Having missed Cirque Lake and the lake above Papoose has me thinking I may have to return some day to see them.       

No comments: